- This event has passed.
Tree Planting: Hansville Greenway Expansion
February 21 , 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Calling all forest enthusiasts and North Kitsap community members! In collaboration with the Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe, Hansville Greenway Association, and Kitsap County Parks, Great Peninsula Conservancy is planting 1000 trees at the Hansville Greenway Expansion and we need your help. With the generous donation of 1000 trees from Kitsap County Parks Department, GPC is getting a head start on the reforestation efforts at this preserve.
- Monday, February 20th, 9am-1pm
- Tuesday, February 21st, 9am-1pm*
- Location: These plantings will take place at the Hansville Greenway Expansion. We will meet at Buck Lake Parking Lot, located at 6959 Buck Lake Rd NE, Hansville, WA 98340. From here, we will walk approximately 0.5 miles to the planting site. Google Maps directions to the parking lot can be found here.
- Terrain: To get to the tree planting site, we will walk on a trail with one mildly steep section. The tree planting location will be cleared and is relatively flat.
- Weather: We are still in the rainy season! This event will happen rain or shine – all you will need to bring is yourself and whatever clothing you need to brave the elements. We will communicate with you prior to the event if adverse weather conditions are too prohibitive.
- Food: GPC will provide drinks and snacks!
Acquired early in 2022, the Hansville Greenway Expansion extends the habitat and trails provided by Hansville Greenway. With a history of timber harvesting and clear cutting, much of this preserve has turned into thick groves of invasive Himalayan blackberry and Scotch broom. By replanting with native western red cedars, western hemlocks and western white pine, we hope to begin the process of transforming the ecosystem into a thriving habitat for the native flora and fauna of our region. Come connect with your landscape and get your hands dirty through this collaborative reforestation plan.
* The main planting event will take place on February 20th. Any remaining work will be completed on February 21st.
Learn more about GPC’s COVID precautions here.
For more information, please reach out to Beatrice at email@example.com